Powered by Blogger.

New Job!

In January I got a new job. It was kind of crazy, because I absolutely loved my old co-workers and students at VCSE, but the new director, with all of his changes, didn't make me feel like my job was secure. It really pained me to say good-bye to my students so suddenly, especially the 5 who I worked closely with in the mornings. I still think about them often and would love to see how they've grown. I heard they found my replacement and I'm happy to hear it's someone that I know. From my interactions with her, I believe that she will be able to work with my co-workers and help the students.

The change was sudden, but it was definitely for the better. My new school (AAL) has a different culture going on and my new position requires a lot of flexibility, but I'm enjoying it so far. I'm a Learning Coach for K-3rd and my job requires me to help the students who are advanced and mastering the subjects. AAL is different from anything I've ever observed or experienced, but I do like the structure because the struggling students don't get left behind and the advance friends don't get forgotten. I appreciate how they have a place to hone their skills and practice more without getting disrupted, unless they're choosing to disrupt their own learning.

Of course, not matter where I go, the attitude is still evident. I still deal with students' attitudes on a daily and even though I get so angry, I get just as sad about their rebellious hearts.  It continues to allow me to rely more on God's strength and understand His grace and mercy for my rebellious heart and constant sins as well. I'm thinking about reading "Love and Logic" to see if I can find some way to better help my students and also because it's been recommended by many teacher friends.

Besides being a learning coach, I also teach an elective, 1st grade music. I know. . .  M U S I C. Never did I ever think that would happen, but it did! Anyone who knows me, knows that I don't have a musical bone in my body, but I'm starting to learn now. The good thing is, I don't have to do any grading for my music classes. I mainly have to find things for them to do and keep them occupied. The way it was structured before I stepped in was not the best. The kiddos would just dance, read books in the back of the room, and play around. Now, I have a routine so the kids know what to expect, but it did take a bit of time for them to adjust and realize that music class IS music class. I'm excited though, I have my lessons planned out for the rest of the school year and I have a chance to teach them things that other 1st graders are learning about too. Like I said, I'm not an expert, but I've been able to teach them rhymes (they wrote their own line to "Down by the Bay") and we are currently learning about instruments. It's been a lot of fun planning and teaching music, but it's also an area where I've been stretched as well. I'm looking forward to where this music adventure goes though.

 Also, so thankful for Esther. It was really last minute, but she helped hook me up with this new job. We get to carpool and have lunch together almost everyday. I appreciate the conversations and how she has helped me adjust to this new position. I was definitely more prepared to face everything because of her. Things in life change so fast, but this was a transition that was needed and worth it. I'm praying that I'll finish the rest of the school year strong. Pray for me too!

My awesome coworkers at VCSE!

No comments